Tunisia Think TankFoundation International
Visions & Prospective, Leadership & Empowerment
In a century heading towards more liberty, power dispersion, environmental and development challenges, and geopolitical changes, Tunisia is now at the crossroads of founding its new socio-economic development model and citizenship nature by virtue of an uprise that ousted its last dictator on January 14, 2011 and ushered the country into an unprecedented era of freedom and democracy. The Tunisian people could not endure more than six decades of authoritarian rule in an independent ‘formal’ republic over a longed-for real one. The new Republic under construction, after the hard delivery of the new consensual constitution, requires much more than the pointless discussions and outdated thought logics and patterns that the new political elite and part of the media overwhelmed Tunisians with along 3 post-revolution years sadly marked by violence increase, socio-economic and environmental deterioration, societal chasms between secularists and islamists, and terrorism.
If Tunisia suffered agonies from its new democratically elected rulers and their dogmatic and ideological obsessions and vision shortage, Tunisia found its salvation in its civil society where democrats, modernists, prospectivists, and ‘Tunisia believers’ who spared no efforts –under the eyes of world opinion– to pressure successive ‘legal’ governments out of their age-old plans. They won the point despite lack of structured coordination (at conceptual, planning, action and follow-up levels). In fact, some initiatives at launching think-tank like associations have started, while the country remains in real need for an institution that would be an attempt at tackling a vacuum point that has to be ‘filled’ with a ‘Compass’ open to everybody’s contribution that proposes the direction and the way the country should head to.
This is simply the motive for the determined, firm and steady establishment of a private think tank foundation subject to Tunisian legislation and dealing with Tunisia as a universal shared value, and as a country, people, political entity and development model in a geopolitics where interests and exchange have been taking novel trends and unknown-before forms. It stems from its founders’ awareness (and many others’, inside the country and abroad) of the need to make emerge new values, visions and leaderships –local and national– that would help the country and its people keep up with the tempo of the world and contribute to national unity and world solidarity, peace and sustainable development.
Tunisia Think Tank Foundation, International, is conceived as a multidisciplinary, interdisciplinary and inter-generational not-for-profit thought, cultural institution specialized in applied strategic thinking aimed at the dissemination of applied and strategic knowledge, collective and synthetic thinking; of strategic planning, leadership, entrepreneurship, citizenship and prospective culture; as well as ensuring Tunisia’s taking advantage of its empowered leaders, under the light of its new Republic’s values and customs, its geographical territory, its 21-century society, and its expected sustainable development model.
Logo: Geometrical forms suggesting Tunisia, ‘Idea’ (bulb) and the World.
Motto: Tunisia Thinks… Tunisia Universal…
Orientations and Action Principles:
ü Tunisia in the heart and mind, and its TTT is one of its vivid monuments;
ü Strategic thinking is a collective, interdisciplinary process interacting with world thought;
ü Contribution and volunteering within TTT Foundation is wide-open;
ü TTT Foundation gathers specialists, experts and leaders of all walks of life (social, economic, environmental, cultural, communicational, political, etc.);
ü Communication is the vein and engine of action and interaction;
ü Relativity is the equation of life, thinking and appreciation;
ü TTT Foundation’s communication, science, expert, and pragmatic competencies and references are its solid pillars;
ü Inter-generational ties are a bond in TTT Foundation’s system;
ü Partnership is key to volunteers’, experts’ and institutions’ mobilization;
ü TTT Foundation is a space, channel, nexus of exchange intra- and extra-Tunisia.
TTT Foundation-International is a volunteer intellectual and cultural service institution specialized in ‘Applied-Strategic Thinking’ based on the Idea “Tunisia, a Universal Value” operating under the Tunisian “Associations Decree” (Sept. 2011) and Tunisian Law. It is:
An associative, collective, civil, nation-wide initiative bearing local, national and world dimensions to strategic thinking, consultancy, empowerment, and prospective in the framework of transitions towards democracy, as well as of transition related to culture, and sustainable development and energy; and aspiring to setting up a cultural and developmental dynamics (social, economic, environmental, political) complete with citizenship and the rule of Law, via communication, capacity-building, empowerment, resilience, prospective and strategic thinking, and the dissemination of entrepreneurship, leadership and innovation culture, on the basis of the Idea “Tunisia, a universal, civilizational and development Value”.
It is a proposals spearhead (Force de Proposition), tool, channel and space for:
Collective interdisciplinary strategic reflection, visions and strategies construction (elaboration and formulation) and leadership skills building (knowledge, skills and performance) by means of optimum involvement of Tunisian competencies and societal leaders; building Tunisia’s women and youth and their insertion in socio-political life capacity-building of its institutions, women and youths particularly and their socio-professional and socio-political integration; and education on citizenship , rule of law, sustainable-development-policy prospective, resilience, and fund-raising for a fruitful construction of Tunisia in a fast-changing world;
and setting up:
- a Tunisian reference logical and pragmatic framework in methodologies construction of visions and strategies, in the fundamental principles of leadership and management of civil society institutions, and prospecting the country’s future;
- enhancing competencies and skills in leadership, strategic planning, prospective, and resilience;
- making proper use of decentralized cooperation opportunities with Tunisia’s friendly nations and parties for strategies, programs and projects sustaining Tunisia’s development transition.
- interactive and proactive thinking;
- training, empowerment, resilience and leaders’ insertion;
- exchange, cooperation and partnership;
- lobbying and networking;
- communication and information dissemination.
General action strategy
- Setting up TTT’s reference framework (conceptual reference document, constitution, founders’ list, TTT’s Charter of foundation, TTT’s foundation announcement / release);
Founders’ agreement, legal establishment procedures (legal declaration, Official Journal publication, opening of a bank account);
- Donations / grants for the preliminary establishment expenses (headquarters’ rent, administrative documents / letterheads print…);
- Launch Action Strategy elaboration…
Values, Principles, Approaches, and Strategic Knowledge:
Visions for Tunisia 21, and societal updated influent leaderships
(‘Republic’ – Society – Territory – Development Model)
Inventing and engineering visions for 21st-century Tunisia, and societal updated influent leaderships, via:
a) Forging a vision for Tunisia’s 21st-century society free from authoritarianism and radicalism in an intertwined world;
b) Elaborating an updated conception of Tunisia’s national territory in the light of decentralization and provincial balance and from a sustainable development viewpoint;
c) Setting up a modern development model vision based on sustainable security, entrepreneurship, social justice, environmental safety, and positive interaction with the world;
d) Engaging a cultural and civilizational interaction between Tunisia and the world’s peoples in the framework of national and universal values, reciprocal interests and international solidarity;
- Disseminating of applied strategic thinking and planning, and spirit of innovation;
- Engaging collective construction of visions and strategies for the national community and society’s and the State’s institutions;
- Disseminating strategic knowledge and proactive thinking;
- Contributing in enhancing institutional capacities, leaderships’ building, and resilience building;
- Diffusing the spirit of up-to-date observation, entrepreneurship, active citizenship, and local governance;
- Networking, partnering, and communicating with different local, nationwide, and international socio-cultural institutions and organizations concerned with security, planning, strategic knowledge, sustainable development, and intellectual and cultural life;
- Proposing visions and strategies for a local and national rational / sustainable development;
- Forging short-term and mid-term solutions for the social insertion of youths and people with special needs, and for employment;
- Fund-raising in the framework of donations from friendly countries and organizations in the framework of decentralized international cooperation.
Start-up roles and tasks
(horizontal) Communication Tasks
Elaborating a communication and relational strategy aimed at fundraising for the TTT’s start.
(vertical) Implementation Tasks
- Elaborating a “Strategic Planning Guide”(book);
- Elaborating a “Successful Leadership Guide”, “ Successful Communication Guide”, “Active Citizenship and Good Governance Guide”;
- Publishing an e-Newsletter for the dissemination of TTT’s output;
- Following, collecting, and synthesizing information related to planning, leadership, citizenship, governance, prospective and resilience from various sources (academic and research institutions, official institutions, media, NGOs…);
- Organizing and holding press conferences, press kits, communication campaigns…
- Scientific, education and information conferences and workshops;
- Strategic surveys and studies;
- Exchange, networking and partnerships building at national, regional and international levels in the framework of bilateral and multilateral cooperation with Tunisia-friendly nations and organizations;
- Fund-raising (grants and donations) from the private and the public sectors and from friendly countries and international governmental and non-governmental organizations.
Executive Board and Responsibilities
TTT’s work and functioning is ensured by an 11-member Executive Board elected in a general assembly for a 3-year term: Executive President and 10 Vice-presidents (including the Secretary-general and Treasurer), and domestic and overseas representations.
1) Executive President
4) International Partnerships Officer
5) Communications Officer
6) Media relations Officer
7) NGO Liasion Officer
8) Business Relations Officer
9) Methods & Planning Officer
10) Events management Officer
11) Junior Leaders’ Circle Coordinator
National Academic & Prospective Council – N.A.P.C.
N.A.P.C. (“Tank Thinkers”) administers TTT’s intellectual, knowledge, scientific and academic activities and its different fields and chapters of specialization; operates as the Foundation’s intellectual Board of Directors and its referential knowledge and scientific structure; and consists of competencies and intellectual, scientific, expert, development, political, youth and women leaders from all walks numbering 20 to 50 members (or pending on what N.A.P.C. decides). The Council elects a President for a three-year term from its members, as well as an International Coordinator , vice-presidents and 2 or more Rapporteurs. It also appoints Officers for knowledge and scientific Chapters / Chambers of the Council as well as Coordinators for the activity coordination units (Tribunes, Academic Chairs, Future’s Workshops, Academies, Chambers, Focus Groups… following the Council’s adoption of these Fields and Chambers / Chapters.
The Council renews one third of its members every 2 years in a framework of consultation and coordination between N.A.P.C. and the Executive Board.
N.A.P.C.’s intellectual and applied knowledge Fields the following Chambers:
Development Strategies, Empowerment and Resilience, Prospective and Future Studies, Political Thought and Discourse, Citizenship, Governance and Philanthropism, Geopolitics and International Relations, Education, Science and Culture, Family, Society and the Dialogue between cultures, Food, Water, Energy, Climate Change and Environment, Sustainable Security and Combating Terrorism and Organized Crime.
The activity coordination units and mechanisms include:
Leadership and Visions Tribune, Academic Chairs, Future’s Workshops, Research and Studies Academy, Development and Governance Academy, Political Discourse Chamber, Focus Groups…
Convened by both N.A.P.C.’s president and the Executive President, the Council meets every 3 months and whenever necessary and considers the Foundation’s intellectual and knowledge activities and adopts and validates the themes, activities, programs and projects proposed by the Executive Board or the Council. The Executive Board necessarily attend the Council’s meetings; and decisions are consensually taken or through an absolute majority vote.
Junior Leaders’ Circle – J.L.C.
J.L.C. is the sustaining structure to the ideas of the and their intellectual and social leaders, and TTT’s youth intellectual referential body and an inspirational source to the Foundation’s work. Its intellectual and knowledge activities are supervised by the Circle’s Officer in the Executive Board. It consists of young and female emerging leaderships from various backgrounds appointed by the Executive Board on the basis of confirmed intellectual, knowledge, leadership and ethical assets.